Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Being a Dad and Grandpa... (in honor of the recent Father's Day)

My father and both grandfathers started me on my way to being a man, a father, and most importantly taught me how to be a loving and caring man. There have been others that I have watched, learned from, admired, and loved... but these three men were my genesis. Not to sound egotistical, I think I turned out pretty ok overall. All three have been gone for well over half of my life, but the lessons they taught me are still valid and I am learning more every day.

Being a father is the hardest, longest, most maddening job you will ever love with every fiber of your being. There is nothing like the feeling of being a father, then later a grandfather if you're lucky. It shows a man just how deep his love can go, regardless of how "hard" they may think they are, there is no end of that fatherly love. You'll never reach the bottom or the end. It is one of the proofs of the word infinite. Also, just to be clear, it doesn't have to be blood relation either... stepchildren count too. For me, the feeling is the same. Love is love. There shouldn't be "levels." The ladies that have to take on that role also know what I'm talking about. How they go about it is obviously different in some situations, but the end results are very similar.
Some may point out things that have happened in history or even in their lives that they feel would disprove my definition. I'm sorry they feel that way, but I'm an optimist. I believe that someplace deep down that feeling is there for every man.
So anyone in a fatherly position, whether by blood, by marriage, by necessity, by accident or by choice, I applaud you and I hope you REVEL in those feelings! Both in giving and receiving! Feel the love everyone reflects back to you... it is 100% a reflection of your love for everyone them...

I love being a Dad, a Daddy and Paw-Paw... Always and forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment